Thursday, April 5, 2012

HOLY SOUTHBY: 2012 ROUNDUP



Some of us round here have just caught up on sleep... since 10 days have passed & I find myself compulsively buying music from artists I caught during SxSW this year, thought it would be a good time to pass on recs.


My good friend J. Tom Hnatow (of These United States fame, of used to crash on my couch in Brooklyn & will most def appear on the 1st official Pls Pls Me album fame) has a new project - the Mynabirds.

I always hoped a sensitive soul as he would do a stint with a girl band. But I could not have imagined it would be two so velvety-voiced-you-wanna-die singers, a female drummer, cool synth & bass effects, and Tom.
          MYNABIRDS' SINGLE HERE

I caught this band a year ago opening up for Josh Ritter at Antone's, but damn, they have totally reinvented themselves since then -- and definitely for the better.

Just the right amount of electronics and earthiness. I look forward to seeing the stomp boxes in action next time.

I breathlessly pushed my way to the front of the stage, only to realize I was shoulder to shoulder with Sarah Law, killer rock photographer, Suzanna Choffel and Dawn Landes right behind me. All people that know how to find the good music.

Watch out: Florence & the Machine -- you got heat! Their new album is due is May.


I'm one of Amy Cook's biggest fans in Austin. I like the rawness of her voice, and the "I could give a shit" attitude. She played South by San Jose, curated by the famous Liz Lambert who erected quite a stage between the ab fab San Jose Hotel & Jo's Coffee (one must stay caffeinated to survive southby).

 










She played all the new songs off her coming record -- Summer Skin -- with the studio band. And I'm not usually a name dropper, but I will NEVER turn down a chance to see Me'shell Ndege Ocello on bass.... David Garza in the house too, for all you cult followers.

I sort of wish the band took a few more chances. But sometimes, it's best not to mess with a good thing.

Amy, when are we writing a song together?


The Saturday headliner of South by San Jose. I know many of you are not, but I am a new Ben Kweller fan. And seeing was being converted. All that triumphant energy and rowdy boy poetry -- with hooks that are so catchy, they almost make you mad.


Get outta my head "Jealous Girl." No, wait... don't.


What the hell is in the water in Los Angeles? By time I finished the Hotel Cafe showcase at St. David's Church Saturday night, I could not stand to hear any more great music. And was seriously contemplating jumping on the first plane, if only to complete with so many completely authentic voices.

Madi's one of those few singer/songwriters who's writing style is really hers -- love those suspended melodies and the way her lyrics are so simple, but still say exactly what needs to be said.

10 days later, I still can't stop listening to LOVE ME NOW.
But if you don't know her, you should also check out LET'S GO.
And her startling cover of Paul Abdul's STRAIGHT UP.  (Someone hit me up if they can find a version online.)

Extra props to the whole band for keeping their cool when the show couldn't start on time because of a keyboard malfunction. They still nailed the first song with perfect poise & total emotion.




I've been singing her praises forever, or since she almost came to WNYC's Soundcheck to do a segment with her first debut.

I like to think of her as Mexico City's answer to Fiona Apple. My friend tweeted in response to this video, "The Adele of Argentina?"   Yes, nice try, except she's not Argentinian. She comes from a famous film family in Mexico, yet perhaps my favorite thing about her is she's so shy and cute and, well innocent onstage, so much so that you are simply not prepared for this voice to come out.


I've been disappointed with her English language songs... maybe co-writing with Jason Mraz ruins the angst & emotion I love so much in her first album. But that's okay, because I have a feeling I'll never get tired of this track.



Three guys and a girl from Austin who claim to have eight hands, but they must have way more to be making all that amazing noise. Instrumental music as it ought to be. Full of vintage gear, killer beats, pulsing melodies, a constantly changing cast of instruments -- some of which I can't even identify.

The Thurman solos are unforgettable. When this band walks offstage sweaty, they sure as hell have earned it.

Hope those of you who came to SxSW this year walked away tired and with your ears full of magic.

There's never enough great music in this world. So please & always, send me your recs too.





            *                         *                         *                         *

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contributors